Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Numbing cucumbers!

Yup.. thats actually a dish on the menu for Spices. It's a schezuan style restaurant in the Richmond that serves really really spicy food (if you want it spicy that is).

We went to Spices for dinner on Sunday, after a completely lazy afternoon, hanging out in Sausalito. Which reminds me, if you are in Sausalito, the "No Name Bar" is a nice place to hang out. They have live music playing in the evening till 7 pm, very laid back.

So, anyway, back to Spices.... I have not had such spicy Chinese food anywhere else in the Bay Area. It reminded me of Indian chinese on the streets from back home. And it has a really good vegetarian selection, so obviously I liked it. So, this is what I would recommend (in order) - ma po tofu (yummy!), numbing cucumbers (so good!) , eggplant in garlic sauce (yes, you read that correct, I am recommending an eggplant dish :)). A couple of noodle dishes on the neighboring tables looked good too, maybe I'll try them the next time I go.

Hmm... I was just reading yelp! reviews on this place and they sucked. Maybe I need to get stricter with my reviews, and not give every restaurant a 5-star rating. Watch out next restaurant.. I'm not going to be so easy to please any more ;-)

http://www.yelp.com/biz/xE_M6ntRnq4KTzXBHDVKCA

No comments: